Upon the completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Describe the current findings and recommendations on the effectiveness and safety of pit and fissure sealants.
- Discuss why the use of pit and fissure sealants has been controversial.
- List and identify the different natural occlusal characteristics of human teeth that could benefit from sealant placement.
- Discuss the different methods of preparing the teeth for sealant placement.
- Describe the proper steps in sealant placement i.e., proper tooth preparation, isolation, etching, rinsing and drying, applying bonding agent and pacing sealants, evaluation, and follow-up.
- Discuss different types of sealant materials and their effectiveness.
- Discuss the use of pit and fissure sealants in public health programs.
- Use high quality evidence for health care decision making.