Recolour: The first option is tooth whitening.
Reposition: The second option is orthodontic repositioning.
Recontour: The third option is to recontour teeth and equilibrate.
Restore: Once the above options have been explored, the last option is to restore the teeth with veneers or crowns.
Advantages of Veneers Include:
- Minimal tooth preparation required
- Porcelain veneers are stronger and more durable than composite veneers
- Alternative to full coverage restoration in case of incisal fractures or tooth discolouration
- Colour stability
Disadvantages of Veneers Include:
- Potential for over-contouring
- Requires laboratory procedures
- Porcelain enamel margins may be thin and difficult to finish
- Brittle margins
- Pitting by acidulated fluoride treatment
- Cannot be repaired easily
- Can sometimes be difficult to temporise
- Colour cannot be altered substantially after placement
- Placement is difficult and time-consuming