- If non-locking forceps are used, the assistant must maintain a grasp on the forceps to ensure the beaks do not separate during transfer.
- After the material to be transferred has been placed into the forceps beaks the forceps are paralleled with the used instrument that is to be exchanged (Figure 31a).
- The instrument is exchanged in the same manner as other instruments (Figure 31b).
- When the forceps are returned to the assistant, the working end of the forceps is grasped in the palm of the hand to eliminate dropping the contents (Figure 31c).
- The forceps are not rolled back into position, but rather the assistant discards the materials from the forceps and returns the instrument to the tray.