Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- List the three types of tasters in the population.
- Understand the mechanisms involved in the nerve supply to the oral tissues affecting taste.
- Logically assess the patient to determine if a referral to a specialist for taste and smell is warranted.
- List the three ways to determine a supertaster.
- List three foods that supertasters usually do not consume.
- Discuss the benefits and/or the disease states associated with each of the tasters.
- State the function of the taste buds and understand how taste is perceived.