Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the current scientific literature about the association between periodontal health and diabetes and discuss the interactions between these two conditions with patients.
- Be an active participant in an interdisciplinary team of health care providers treating patients with diabetes mellitus and periodontal disease.
- Evaluate patients’ risk factors and treatment needs based upon individualized patient needs and glycemic control.
- Discuss with patients the common risk factors associated with periodontitis and diabetes and be familiar with strategies to treat those risk factors.
- Discuss with interdisciplinary colleagues the importance of and effective methods for treatment of periodontal disease in patients who have diabetes mellitus.