Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the current scientific literature about the prevalence, etiology, and stages of dementia.
- Recognise and discuss with patients the association of periodontal diseases and oral bacteria with dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Develop and implement strategies for communication and delivery of oral hygiene and dental care to patients suffering with dementia.
- Evaluate patients’ risk factors and oral hygiene to develop effective intervention and treatment modalities to reduce caries and periodontal disease rates.
- Understand the utility of nonsurgical caries treatment (e.g., topical fluoride, silver diamine fluoride, etc.) in patients with moderate to advanced dementia.
- Deliver instructions to primary care providers for patients with moderate to advanced dementia to increase compliance with oral home care and decrease care resistant behaviors.